Where there’s a way there’s wood!
Use of wood in way-finding signs
Through the ages, people have carved messages on tree trunks, leaving notes about their whereabouts to or confessing their love for their fellow being. This was our first attempt at leaving messages for posterity, our attempt at creating permanence as undying as our love!
Clients : Various
Sector : Hospitality, retail and residential
Work : Way-finding signs & solutions
Location : Multiple
Design firm : VersionAbsolute Design Studio (VADS)
You know that feeling when you’re wandering around a new city or neighborhood and get totally turned around? As much as digital maps on our phones have revolutionised navigation, there’s still something comforting about spotting a wooden signpost pointing you in the right direction. Version Absolute Design Studio (VADS) understands this, and the designed firm is bringing the warmth and craft of wood to the modern world of way-finding signs.
Based out of New Delhi and Bengaluru, VADS is creating signage, installations, and environmental graphics out of locally sourced timber. The company’s innovative use of wood is transforming spaces and giving people an authentic sense of place. Whether rustic or refined, timber signage brings warmth, texture, and character to spaces in a way that other materials simply can’t match. Natural, bespoke, and sustainably minded, wood is a material that continues to stand the test of time.
Why timber works wonderfully?
Timber is the perfect material for way-finding signage. Here are a few reasons why:
- Natural aesthetic: Wood has a warm, natural aesthetic that creates an inviting impression. Compared to harsh metal or plastic, timber feels organic and complements most architectural styles. The texture and grain give each sign a custom, handcrafted look.
- Weather resistance: Wood is highly durable and weather resistant. When properly treated, timber can last for decades outdoors. The natural oils and resins protect the wood from damage while still allowing it to breathe. With minimal maintenance, timber signs retain their appearance for a long time.
- Versatile & customisable: Timber is versatile and customisable. It can be cut, carved, etched, or engraved to create any shape or design. Wood also takes stains, paints, and other finishes well for a variety of looks. Signs can be tailored to match a brand or location’s unique style.
- Renewable resource: Wood is sustainable and eco-friendly. Timber is a renewable resource and biodegradable. At the end of their lifespan, wooden signs can be recycled or disposed of without harming the environment. Using local wood also supports sustainable forestry practices.
- Sense of permanence: Wood conveys a sense of permanence and stability. Timber signs communicate that a place or organisation has history and longevity. The solid, timeless material gives people confidence in the directions.
For all these reasons, timber is an ideal material for way-finding and signage. When you want to make a great first impression and guide people with style, wood is the way to go. Using natural, sustainable materials connects us to our environment and creates spaces where people want to be. Use of wood in way-finding is definitely the way to go! (Text & photo courtesy: VADS)
VersionAbsolute Design Studio (VADS)
Based out of New Delhi and Bengaluru, VersionAbsolute Design Studio (VADS) is one of India’s premier design consultancy firms. Having been engaging in the process of conceptualisation, strategising, design and development of solutions for a given environment, VADS believes in adhering to the evolutionary and exciting, encompassing a range of design activities comprising architecture, interior designs, communication designs, etc in the built environments. They always intend to provide cohesive and comprehensive design solutions, which include architecture/retail interior designs, way-finding signs, graphic designs, often combining both the disciplines to value-add to the required products. For more about VADS & their works, visit: www.versionabsolute.com